Safe Haven

All the romance movie lovers must be familiar with A Walk to Remember, The Notebook, Dear John, and many more. These sweet and heartbreaking stories were originally written in a novel by Nicholas Sparks. I truly love Dear John and I lost count how many times I have watched this freaking movie. But, despite that fact, I've never actually read the book version neither did I read the other novels written by the same author. This year, I got a hardcopy of Safe Haven from my cousin and I read it. My honest thought was I really need something sweet in my life. 

The story began when Katie, the mysterious young woman, came to Southport. She tried her best to hide her past story, avoided people as best as she could and put her best effort in making money in a restaurant. A couple of times, she went buyung things in the grocery store and met the store owner. Alex. His wife, Carly, died because of cancer and now he lived and took care of his two kids. After years of thinking, he couldn't possibly forget his wife, he started to put an interest in Katie. The feeling grew stronger when an accident happened to Josh, his first son who fell and drowned. Katie showed him her best nature motherly instinct that made Alex fell in love with her. 

Katie didn't want to be involved with anyone but she couldn't resist and ignore the extra attention Alex and his kids gave to her. She knew she didn't deserve love anymore, but albeit anything, she wanted to love and to be loved. 

The story went to the climax when Katie's past is revealed and her abusive husband started to find her trace. Her husband was nothing but a manipulative and egocentric man who ended up hurting not only Katie but also Alex's kids when he put the store on fire. Everything went messy and chaotic. However, nothing changed to Alex and Katie's feeling toward each other. 

Honestly speaking, it was a light reading for me. It was nice sometimes to read such kind of book when you're in a state of reading slump. What I love about this book is, how much it can triggered the reader from the abusive behaviour depicted in the character and how the submissive wife took a chance to get freedom. It was both nervewrecking and made me angry at the same time. The lovey-dovey moment between the main characters are not much but enough to make my stomach slightly twisted. I could say, this book is one of the kind to motivate you back on track and start reading again. 

Comments